How to be Led by the Spirit of God

We see in the Book of Acts the LORD places much importance on being led by the Spirit of God in ministry and for guidance in all situations in life. If we learn how to truly hear from God we can: navigate through all deceptions & confusion and walk in truth; discern between true & false prophecy or predictions; make right life choices; be alert to either dangers or opportunities before us; and know what ministries areas to be involved in or help support.

Even for Internet sites, the media, churches or the many claims made in some You Tube videos that could be true or complete falsehood, He is here to lead us into all truth. There are other important issues in doing this such as correct bible doctrine, following the word of God, prayer, obedience etc, however this teaching is purely about the aspect of being led by the Spirit.

A.)   FOUNDATIONS FOR BEING LED

1. Our connection to God

–  We are a spirit, we have a soul, we live in a body (1 Thess 5, 23)
–  If we are to connect with God we must worship him in spirit and truth, as God is Spirit, and he is wholly true (John 4, 23-24)

2. Led by the Spirit of God

–  Those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. (Rom 8,14). This is for born again believers
–  Guides us into all truth, Our helper and comforter, the greater one in us (John 14, 15, 16)
–  God for us, with us, and in us, and has qualified us to be ministers of the new covenant in the Spirit

3. What else can we be falsely led astray by?

‘Stiff necked uncircumcised in heart & ears, always resisting the Holy Spirit’ Acts 7,51

–  Our flesh, our self, own desires
–  Our unrighteous judgments, ambition and pride
–  Demons, delusions, wounds, lies & heresies
–  The world, peer pressure, opinions, mans wisdom, human ideals
–  Traditions of men, denominationalism
–  the Media, sensationalism & hype
–  Good ideas, but not God ideas
–  Human compassion, particularly in ministry
–  Fear of man, and other people’s opinions
–  Fearfulness rather than faith

B.)   HOW HE LEADS US

There are at least 6 ways that the Spirit of God leads us. Some of them are very subtle and some are very spectacular. They are all from God, but the KEY to not missing God is to understand the subtle very well and not be distracted by seeking the spectacular. They are all Supernatural means, but the subtle is common & easy to miss, the spectacular is rarer but harder to miss.

1. The Inward Witness

This is the PRIMARY WAY, the main way that God leads us by His Spirit. Although not easy to describe, the inner witness is not a voice, but rather an inner feeling, confirmation, check, red or green light, a peace or disturbance witnessing for or against, it is the Yes or No of God given by the Holy Spirit to our spirit. Many people often say “God said this or that” many times a day, but this is very unlikely. In most cases they are hearing their own soul and getting deceived, as the most common way is not a voice but a supernatural witness.

In my personal experience am I led by the inner witness most of the time. So it is far more profitable to focus on learning to discern God in this area.

–  “It is the Spirit bearing witness with our spirit …” (Rom 8, 16)

–  “now when they had gone through phrygia and the region of galatia, they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in Asia. After they had come to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithynia, but the spirit did not permit them.” (Acts 16, 6-7)

–  “it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us …” – (Acts 15, 28)

–  “now after these things, Paul resolved in the spirit …” (Acts 19,21)

–  “Paul advised them saying ‘sirs, I perceive that the voyage will end in injury & much loss” (acts 27,10)

–  “and let the peace of God rule in your hearts” – (Col 3, 12)

–  the unction/anointing teaches us – (1 john 2, 26-27) (Prov 20,27) (John 14 & 15)

We see from the words in bold that it is very subtle supernatural communication and therefore requires us to be humble, sensitive, prayerful to not miss God. The inner witness comes to us many times a day in given situations as He guides us, even without asking, and it also comes in prayer times as we ask the Lord directly to confirm answers to issues.

It is for every Christian, including a prophet. They have particular gifts for ministry, but they also need to hear from God for themselves about many things the same as other Christians.

2. The Voice of God

This can come as a still small voice as in Elijah’s case on the mountain (1 King 19,11-13), or as a clearer stronger direct voice, which is hard to miss.

–  “and the Spirit said `go up and join his chariot`” (Acts 8,29)

–  “and the Spirit said to them ‘behold three men are looking for you, arise and go, and accompany them without hesitation, for I have sent them'” (Acts 10, 19-20)

–  “The Holy Spirit said ‘Set apart for me Saul & Barnabas for the work to which I have called them'” (Acts 13, 2)

3. Dreams

A key sign of the last days outpouring of the Spirit since the day of Pentecost is dreams & visions (Acts 2, 17). Although these are more spectacular and hard to miss, they may require us going to prayer to obtain the inner witness confirmation or clarity of what they mean.

–  “For God may speak in one way, or in another, yet man does not perceive it. In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, While slumbering on their beds, Then He opens the ears of men, And seals their instruction.” (Job 33, 14-16)

–  “And a vision appeared to Paul in the night. A man of Macedonia stood and pleaded with him, saying, “Come over to Macedonia and help us.” (Acts 16, 10) + (Acts 18,9)

4. Visions

There are 3 different levels of visions:

–  A Vision in the spirit: in which God allows you see & hear into the spirit realm; “Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, ‘Ananias’. And he said, “Here I am, Lord.” So the Lord said to him, ‘Arise and go to the street called Straight’ …” (Acts 9,10-16)

An Open Vision: like watching on a big screen:  “As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ …” (Acts 9,3-6)

A Trance: in which you interact in the vision such as happened to Peter … ‘he fell into a trance and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.” And a voice spoke to him again ….’ (Acts 10, 10-16)

5. Messages delivered by Angels

This is a suspicious & controversial way to the fearful who are more concerned about deceptive `angels of light` rather than hearing from God. But lets remember that some very important messages were delivered by Angels such as the virgin birth message to Mary, and some end times messages given to Daniel etc. Just ensure it completely lines up with the word of God.

– “an angel of the Lord said to Philip “Rise and go toward the south to the road that goes down to Jerusalem to Gaza” (Acts 8, 26)

– “Paul stood in the midst of them and said, “Men, you should have listened to me, and not have sailed from Crete and incurred this disaster and loss. And now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For there stood by me this night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve, saying, ‘Do not be afraid… (Acts 27,21-26)

6. Prophets, or another believer

The Lord may speak and led us through a Prophet using the gift of a word of Knowledge, word of wisdom, or a prophecy. And also through our brethren by an anointed word or prophecy, for we are one body with many members. We will need to confirm the word by the inward witness & that it is Biblical. A prophet’s message is often corrective and it is therefore important that it is received by faith. His truth may expose us to requiring vital corrections & changes, but these are to be embraced not rejected through fear, remembering God is leading us in His will

– “And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch. Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar. Then the disciples, each according to his ability, determined to send relief to the brethren dwelling in Judea.” (Acts 11, 27-29)

Finally, all of these ways and anything we hear MUST line up with truth of God’s word in the Bible – as anything truly from the Holy Spirit always will. So stay in the word of God, prayer, good fellowship, right doctrine, and really learn & seek Him to be more & more led by His Holy Spirit. All Glory to God!!

~ Whoever has an ear to hear let him hear what the Spirit says
to the churches, Rev 3, 22 ~

About Christ is Coming, Prepare to meet the Lord

Follower of Jesus Christ, proclaiming his salvation, call to repentance, and soon coming. Warning the world to turn from all sin & idolatry, bearing witness to the judgments of God coming on the earth & end time signs. In order to awaken many souls to prepare for eternity - its Heaven or Hell, you choose!
Gallery | This entry was posted in BIBLE TEACHINGS and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to How to be Led by the Spirit of God

1. Bro Sunday says:

I need help on this issue pls. is it a sin for a christian to invest money on online business like forex and hypi? Thank you God bless u.

• Brother, you need to be very cautious & you must apply this very teaching to your question. Pray and ask God, He will lead you by his inner witness of the Spirit. Know that whatever you do should be in righteousness with your heart set in eternity , not on quick gains which will flee away

• Bro Sunday says:

I am aware there could be consequence of losing money. But I am concern more if this kind of investment is a sin or not. Thank you so much.

• Dr Kingsley says:

It is not a sin to invest your money. You can invest in trading, stocks, bonds, business (Mattew 25:14-29) etc. however, you need to be led by the Spirit on what to invest in and how. Cheers-Dr Kings from Scotland

• sreejesh says:

@Bro Sunday, we can invest in God’s kingdom. Like that widow who gave her very livelihood to the last penny. What would that be like? to have nothing but God and prayer alone ?

2. tomi says:

Good write up,however I seem to have a challenge with hearing God.I strongly believe has been Leading me and talking to me but I have difficulty discerning hos voice.Most of the times, I tend to analyze that it could be my mind,thinking and all of that.It seems I am spiritually deaf and I feel like a lost sheep.However, the only way which I have been able to get anything from him is through dreams and I also find it out to get an interpretation to his dream,afterall Joseph said is only God that gives favourable interpretation to dream.Even when I pray in the Holy Spirit, I find my wandering and I end up not able to hear anything.Is like I do all talking and not feedback.I have read all articles I could possibly lay my hands on yet have not made any headway.I don’t know how you can possibly help me here

3. Obiageri e says:

The holyspirit is the greatest teacher to the sons of God. As sons we need to depend on the holyspirit mostly even at these moment

4. Babatude S. Adesina says:

How do we understand the particular way, in which the holy spirit minister or deliver message to us. I need is Fullness.(2) pls hw do we offend holy spirit. (3) pls how do I no my tithe 4rm my daily income, when I havnt remove the main gain and depth am confused. And I don’t want to miss HEAVEN.

5. Theona says:

Thanx so much for this article. It is so timely as i’m asking God to lead me as i’m considering moving states. God Bless you!

6. Very tidy and clear instructions on being led by God. I have had great conflict in my mind and soul about God’s will over the years; sometimes my own doing – like compromise, and sometimes by eternal forces. In spite of all of this, God is faithful to His word. And if we seek and continue to seek Him with all our heart and soul and be open to Him about everything daily, confessing and forsaking sin – He WILL show us one way or other. We must also give to Him our anxieties, and doubts and fears and fix our minds and hearts and affections on Him and things in Heaven. I have found this to be so. Thank you brother
    Ian
    Ian

7. Eila says:

this is a question that God had not answered me yet. wondering if you can help . My 3 doors from my house. a elderly lady died by her own car on drive way got crushed underneath her car .while got off the car .walked rear of car and rolled on her. I don’t understand why she died that way. she was going to take the other neighbour to Catholic church service that morning . she was widow and had nuns come and visit her in her house. please reply if you can shed light for this . eila

8. Gina N Okoro says:

Please this is what God haven’t answered me yet. My name is Regina, and I am 14 yrs.I have read most of your testimony,but there is something that buders me most.it is how to be baptise in holy spirit. Like one of my friend said that she has been baptise in holy spirit,I asked her how, she said that she was been sprinkled water while sleeping. Is that what you mean being baptise in holy spirit

• Hi Regina, no sprinkling with water is not it. One needs to be baptised in water by full emersion, going fully under the water. But baptism in the Holy Spirit is when we get filled with the presence of the Holy Spirit, like in Acts2, Acts 4 & 5. Evidence that the Holy Spirit has coem upons us is power (Acts 1,8) and often speaking in tongues (Acts 2). You will feel the presence of God, it will be clear. You just need to ask in faith, believing you receive and often have someone who is genuinally already full of the Spirit to pray and lay hands on you imparting to yo the gift. Study it in the word of God to build your faith

9. your teachings are indeed powerul.please help me find away of serving God in our community.I take too much time in my work.please pray for me and inform me of God’s answer.I dont want to be purnished of disobedience.Send me your teachings if possible.I too welcome you to our community for a crusade.Please reply using the above message or sms me. Thanks God bless you.

10. Thank you brethren for sharing with us the word of life. Is it ok if I share my vision about the coming of Jesus Christ on your page? Kind regards, Nelima.

11. teddy says:

How to NOT SIN? I exactly want this for months but i can’t. I want to be like Jesus but i still can’t.

• Press on brother. Phil 3,12 “Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me”

BREAKING HABITUAL SINS OF THE FLESH

Do you want to win the battle against habitual sins of the flesh? Ok, dont give up, there is a way out of sin yes! You have started well by humbling yourself to admit your weakness and ask for help. He gives his grace to the humble, and he forgives the sins of those who confess them.

1.) Understand His grace is sufficient for you and his power is made perfect in your weakness. His grace and power are here to deliver you and empower not to sin. Ask, believe and receive His grace and power everyday in your life.

2.) Set yourself a true and consistent devotional life and praying first thing everyday (for 30-60mins) prayer and worship. And determine to read/listen to 5-10 chapters of the Bible a day. Obey what you read. Set your eyes on Jesus and follow Him in faith & holiness.

3.) Fast. Go on a 3 day fast (consuming just a small amount of juice or yohurt to keep the hard pains away). In this time you will be denying your flesh and cravings and be strengthened in the spirit. You will be surpised at the results. Do this every 2 weeks for a season of maybe 2 months. and in that 2 weeks also practice fasting 1 meal a day a few times

4. ) Permanent fast of all immoral and worldly influences – TV, magazines, movies, bad websites, computer games etc to starve the lusts and worldliness. Repent of them, renounce them once and for all, and be free of their defilement. Read the word of God lots to renew your mind.

5.) Rebuke every demon spirit related to your sins. Renounce it, Rebuke it and cast it out of you, breathe out strong as you cast it out.

Never give up. Jesus came to set the captives free, and he who the son sets free will be free indeed.

12. Bao Nen Pui says:

Hello,some of my christian friends like to watch horror movie and listen to the music of the world ,does they have sin because of these?They say it is nothing to do that,really like that?please answer me.

• Yes they are in sin – worldliness. Horror films are occult, satanic. How can we enjoy being entertained by watching what God hates. Read Laura Wanma’s testimony on this website, which says –> ‘Then JESUS said to me, ” Delete all the worldly songs from your mobile phone”’. Share this scripture with them: 1John2,5 “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.” and James 4,4 “Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

• Bao Nen Pui says:

Then,does a computer game such as minecraft(a game about to build a world you like)is a fault,because it just a type of building game?Does this type of game make us sin?or all the computer games aer not allow?or just the one will make us to be addicted?can you tell me about these too,i cannot separate what is good or bad about these tye of things.

• Judge it and the fruit – does it promote sin? Does it cause addiction and excessive time wasting on fruitless activity? Does it distract from the call of God on your life? And apply this teaching to it in prayer – ask God

13. Bao Nen Pui says:

hmm,i think i know what you mean and the Scripture says.i will share these to my friend.thank you